Tuesday 22 April 2014

Apple and Blackberry Crumble


This month AlphaBakes has teamed up with Random Recipes. They've decided to start at the beginning of the alphabet with A but here's the twist - you have to select a book at random and then randomly choose a recipe under the 'A' section of the index. My random selection lead me to British Baking by Peyton and Bryne. There are 8 recipes listed under 'A' and my random number generator came up with 4 which was apple and blackberry crumble. I've made a lot of crumble over the years but I've never made one in a pie dish and I'm quite pleased that mine looks quite similar to the picture in the book. Apples and blackberry are a winning combination and it tasted absolutely delicious especially when served with custard and ice cream.

As mentioned, I'm entering this to AlphaBakes hosted by Caroline from Caroline Makes and co hosted by myself. It's also a joint challenge with Random Recipes hosted by Dom from Belleau Kitchen.

 





 I had some blackberries in the freezer from a colleague's garden so it was a good chance to use them 

 I added more spice than suggested as I love cinnamon in crumble 

 The only change I made was to add some oats as I love an oaty crumble and a teaspoon of ground cinnamon as well for added spice. 



Recipe is from British Baking by Peyton & Bryne page 154

7 comments:

  1. Oh how lovely, I do love a crumble!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is my mum's classic 'go-to' dish. I ADORE apple and blackberries, they are a great combo... loving the crumble and loving it done in a pie dish... well done random recipes for making you do it baby!... thanks so much for the brilliant entry x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apple and blackberries are a match made in heaven. Thanks for collaborating with AlphaBakes this month.

      Delete
  3. Let's face it..... you can't beat a good crumble and oats and cinnamon are definitely a must!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love crumble and this looks gorgeous

    ReplyDelete
  5. A real classic! Great entry for Alphabakes as usual.

    ReplyDelete

I've had to turn word verification back on as I've had a lot of problem with spam lately, Apologies! Please, please do leave a comment - I appreciate every one of them and will reply to all of them. Thanks!