Wednesday 12 February 2014

Raspberry and Basil financiers




Recently I was invited to a French Glace Cherries Masterclass in London where Cindy from Food For Thoughts showed us how to make French glacé cherries Jelly Cakes and French glace cherry and pistachio financiers. We also got to sample some lovely treats made with glacé cherries which Cindy prepared for us to sample throughout the afternoon. 



The inspiration for this recipe came from the financiers we made. I had a lot of leftover egg whites after making custard for my custard crumble cake so I decided to make financiers. As it's nearing Valentine's, I chose to make raspberry and basil financiers after seeing it on BBC Good Food.  

This is a slightly unusual combination of flavours but I thought it worked really well. It was definitely not to everyone's taste though particularly the basil. The cake itself is light and nutty and the tart raspberries paired well with the basil. The heart shapes look cute and are perfect for a delicious Valentine treat. 

I'm sending this to a few challenges this month. 

Made with Love Mondays hosted by Javelin Warrior where the idea is to make everything from scratch.


Cooking with Herbs hosted by Karen from Lavender and Lovage. The theme this month is Chinese and Romantic Inspired Recipes with Herbs. 



Treat Petite hosted by Stuart from Cakeyboi and Kat from the Baking Explorer. The theme this month is Loved Ones. 


Calendar Cakes hosted by Rachel from Dolly Bakes and Laura from Laura Loves Cakes. The theme this month is Oh L'Amour!


Four Seasons Food hosted by Anneli from Delicieux and Louisa from Eat Your Veg. The theme this month is 'Food from the Heart' 


A new challenge called Love Cake hosted by Jibber Jabber UK. The theme this month is Baking with Passion. 






 cooking browned butter

 adding basil

 add raspberries before baking


Recipe is from BBC Good Food

17 comments:

  1. such a chic idea to add the basil, how special, they look delightfully light and fluffy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Raspberry and basil is a great combination. Where on earth are you getting raspberries from at this time of year, though?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The supermarkets here seem to stock raspberries all year round. I know it's not in season but I just couldn't resist for a valentine bake!

      Delete
  3. I love the sweet combination of both basil and raspberries here - I've never paired the two together, but I'd imagine they would be delicious. And so cute for Valentine's Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a really good combination but not to everyone's liking!

      Delete
  4. Unusual flavour combo - but I think I'd like very much!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look so cute and I am sure they are tasty too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a gorgeous colour. I've never baked with basil and am curious as to how it works in a sweet bake

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love using basil in baking. Pairs well with lemon and lime too.

      Delete
  7. Well I am certainly curious to know how these tasted! I must say that they look fantastic and those flecks of green from the basil in them are lovely. Thanks for entering them into Four Seasons Food x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They tasted of tart raspberries with a slight sweetness from the basil.

      Delete
  8. I am a really big fan of cooking desserts and sweet things with herbs. I think this is a great combination, I will be trying out soon. And this is another idea to make with the mountain of egg whites I acquire because I love custard so much. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love incorporating herbs in my baking and financiers are definitely a great way to use up leftover egg whites!

      Delete
  9. I LOVE this flavour combo! Herbs make cakes so refreshingly different and a great colour contrast too!

    ReplyDelete

I've had to turn word verification back on as I've had a lot of problem with spam lately, Apologies! Please, please do leave a comment - I appreciate every one of them and will reply to all of them. Thanks!